Suggested Best Practices for using Canvas Commons
- Use tags
- Adding relevant tags is very important when you share your resource. Tags make it easy for other users to find your resource. You must add at least one tag to add a resource to Commons.
- Recommended tags:
- Course number, if relevant (e.g. BA 101)
- College, Department, or Unit (e.g., Anthropology, UO Online)
- Relevant keywords (e.g. rubric, assignment, tutorial)
- Select default filters
- To display your resources in the default search results, the grade/level must be Undergraduate and/or Graduate and the content type must be Template and/or Open Textbook in your resources.
- Optionally add a license to facilitate reuse
- Note: Be sure to only share your own content unless the content you share already has an CC license.
- Don’t share exams, quizzes or answer keys to Canvas Commons. We recommend that you share these directly with other instructors using the Send to feature in Canvas instead.
- Review the material and edit as needed
- Favorite resources
- Where can I access Canvas Commons?
In Global Navigation, click the Commons link. The first time you access Commons, you will be asked whether it is allowed to access your Canvas account. Click Authorize to proceed.
- Who can use this resource?
Anyone at UO who has at least one course in which they have the role of Teacher, TA, Grader, Designer, Learning Assistant, or Admin Staff. If students or observers had one of the roles in a current or past course, they will have access to the entirety of Commons.
- How do I share a resource to Commons?
In Canvas go to the item you want to share and click on the three vertical dots and select Share to Commons.
- How do I acquire resources from Commons?
Login to Canvas and look for the Commons link in your left-hand global navigation menu. You will have a search option as well as a filter option to review materials that have been shared to Commons.
- Can I preview resources in Commons?
Yes, click the Commons button in your Global Canvas navigation. You can filter the options to narrow your search. When you find an item you want to preview, click on the title.
- Can I share resources between Canvas and Community?
Yes, you can share resources between Canvas and Community. Follow the instructions indicated under “How to share a resource or your course to Commons”. On the Settings page select to share with Consortium and Commons Community.
- Can I edit or remove a resource in Commons?
Yes, go to Commons and click on the item to display it and you will have a delete this item option.
- Are there reviews for resources in Commons?
Yes, there may be reviews for resources in Commons and you can write a review for a resource in Commons. Go to the item you are evaluating and select the Details tab. Reviews will be found there and you can write a review as well.
- What is a license in Commons?
A license specifies the terms of how a work can be used and adapted. By default, your work will be copyright-protected, but you also have the option of assigning an open license to your work, which still provides copyright protection, but also allows you to extend a set of permissions for how others may use and adapt your work.
- Which license should I choose?
By default, your work will be copyright-protected, but you also have the option of assigning an open license to your work. Assigning an open license still provides copyright protection, but also allows you to extend a set of permissions for how others may use and adapt your work. Not sure which license to choose? Click on the Help Me Choose link within the Commons upload interface to read about the license types. Select carefully; Once a license is assigned, it stays with the work in permanently.
- How do I add to Favorites in Commons?
You can keep track of your favorite resources by adding resources to your Favorites list. On the resource details page, click the Add to Favorites button.
- How do I manage Favorites in Commons?
To view or manage your favorite resources, go to the Favorites page from the top navigation menu. On the Favorite page you can remove a resource from the list by unstaring it.